7.3 Acceptable CSCI Substitutions
CSCI 2033 Substitution: Elementary Computation Linear Algebra (CSCI Majors only)
If a student has credit for MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H or wants to take MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H instead of CSCI 2033:
- Computer Science Minor students can't use non-CSCI courses in their minor. If credit for MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H is already earned then minor students should consider taking a different course. Minor students can decide to stay in CSCI 2033 and use it for their minor, but parts will likely be redundant.
- Computer Science BS students can use MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H in place of CSCI 2033 IF they take MATH 4242 (applied linear algebra) for their upper division math oriented requirement that is in the curriculum later. This is a two for two substitution. The department won't allow MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H to sub for CSCI 2033 if students don't take MATH 4242.
- Computer Science BA students can use MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H in place of CSCI 2033 IF they take MATH 4242 (applied linear algebra), which will count towards their upper division credits outside of the major required by CLA. This is a two for two substitution. The department won't allow MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H to sub for CSCI 2033 if students don't take MATH 4242.
- Computer Science/Math double majors or Math minors should take MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H over CSCI 2033 and then take MATH 4242 later to meet one of their algebra requirements for the math major or for their math minor electives.
- MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H doesn't substitute for CSCI 2033 by itself since MATH 2243/2373/2471/2574H is about two topics (linear algebra and differential equations) where our course is a full semester learning linear algebra.
- Students wanting or needing to take these math substitutions should contact an advisor for approval (firstname.lastname@example.org).
STAT 3021 Substitution: Introduction to Probability and Statistics (CSCI Majors Only)We offer the following substitutes for our required STAT 3021 requirement in the Computer Science BS and BA programs:
- A combination of STAT 3011 and 3022 (STAT 3011 alone isn't an acceptable substitute for STAT 3021)
- STAT 4101, 4102, 5101, 5102, 8101, or 8102 (These courses can't double count towards a student's computer science track credits for the BS program)
- MATH 4653 or MATH 5651 (These courses can't double count towards a student's computer science track credits or the upper division math oriented requirement for the BS program)
- IE 3521 (Only for Computer Science and Industrial Systems and Engineering double majors)
- EE 3025 (Only for Computer Science and Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering double majors)
CSCI 2021 Substitution: Machine Architecture and Organization (CSCI Majors Only)We allow EE 2361 to substitute for CSCI 2021 only for Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering double majors. EE 2361 can't be substituted if a student isn't a double major or is only pursuing the Computer Science Minor.
EE 1301 Substitution: Introduction to Computing Systems (CSCI Minors Only)
We allow EE 1301 to substitute for the CS I requirement (CSCI 1103,1113, or 1133) in the Computer Science minor curriculum. We do not allow EE 1301 to substitute for the CS I requirement in the Computer Science majors (BA and BS). We will, however, allow a Computer Science major who has completed EE 1301 to substitute a CSCI 4000-5000 level course in place of the CS I requirement rather than having to take CSCI 1103, CSCI 1113, or CSCI 1133.