18.1. Degree Requirements

What is the difference between a CSE and CLA CS&E degree?

  • Two science courses (Phys 1301W and your choice of Phys 1302W, Chem 1061/1065, Chem 1062/1066, ESci 2201, Psy 3011, or Gcd 3022) is required by CSE, not by CLA.
  • CSE Upper Division Track including an addition math requirement (see UD Math Oriented Requirement below) is 23 credits, of which some can be upper level courses in a "related field." CLA Upper Division Track is 8 semester credits of 4xxx/5xxx CSci courses.
  • CSE requires an additional math course (UD Math Oriented Requirement).
  • CLA requires a second language.
  • CLA requires 18 credits of upper division non-CSCI courses.

Is my Upper Division Track OK?

See the Upper Division Track portion of this guide for additional information. Consult with a CS&E Advisor in 4-196 before starting to take track courses. The advisors can help you to make appropriate choices for a track conforming to your area of interest.

Is my upper division math oriented requirement OK?

See the upper division math oriented requirement portion of this guide for more information. Some CSci courses are pre-approved to count in this area (can’t double count within your track) and most Math 4xxx-5xxx courses will count unless the topic of the course is specific to a certain field like actuarial.

Can I graduate with {insert odd situation here}?

Connect with advisors. You can fill out a petition in order to graduate in some cases.

How can I graduate with honors?

See the honors section of this guide.

What do I need to do to graduate?

See the Graduation Procedures section of this guide.

What course fulfills the CLA senior project semester requirement?

CSci 3081W

What courses fulfill the writing-intensive requirements?

CSci courses that are "writing intensive" are CSci 3921W, CSci 3081W and CSci 4511W. Note that CSCI 3921W can't be used towards track credits or the CSCI 4000-5000 level electives needed for both the CSE BS and CLA BA respectively.