2.1. Computer Science Major
The Computer Science and Engineering Department offers a Bachelor of Science degree for CSE students and a Bachelor of Arts for CLA students. For both the B.S. and B.A. all major courses must be taken A-F, and passed with a grade of C- or better. The degree check-lists and a prerequisite chart later in this guide show the major courses and prerequisites.
The degree requirements contained here apply to all students who began their education at the University of Minnesota during the Fall of 2013 or after for CSE students and Fall 14 or after for CLA students. Previous requirements can be found in the Appendix. Degree Requirements between the current program and previous programs cannot be mixed. It is recommended that students who enrolled at the University of Minnesota prior to Fall 2013 contact the Undergraduate Advisor when deciding which requirements to use.
The B.S. and B.A. share many requirements, but they differ in the following ways:
- The B.S. requires two lab science courses, one of which is Physics I, the other is chosen from a list of approved lab science courses.
- The B.S. requires an upper division math oriented requirement.
- The B.S. includes a 23-credit upper division track (including the upper division math oriented requirement), while the B.A. includes 8-credits of elective upper division (4XXX-5XXX) computer science courses.
- The B.A. requires an additional 18 upper division credits outside of the CSCI prefix to meet the CLA requirements. STAT 3021 counts for 3 of these 18 credits.
- The B.A. requires second language coursework or proficiency. (More information on these credits can be obtained from the CLA advising office.)