16.2.3. Undergraduate CPT
This page contains information for undergraduate students pursuing Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Graduate students should review this CPT page instead.
International students admitted to our Undergraduate Computer Science programs in CLA and CSE who are interested in working off campus must complete specific paperwork with a CS&E Advisor and the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office in order to legally work.
Students should take the following steps to get set up for CPT:
- Students should complete the CPT online workshop.
- Students should complete all student portions of the required CPT paperwork.
- Students should meet a CS&E Advisor via drop-in advising or an appointment. Students will need to bring the CPT paperwork and their offer letter for employment with them to the advisor meeting.
- The CS&E Advisor will complete both the advisor and instructor portion of the CPT paperwork.
- The CSE&E Advisor will email the student a permission number to add CSCI 5996 to a future semester as well instructions on writing a paper to receive credit for CSCI 5996.
- Students should register for CSCI 5996 online using the permission number emailed to them (must be registered prior to submitting paperwork to ISSS).
- Students should bring the completed CPT paperwork to the ISSS office.
CSCI 5996 is a one credit course taken pass/fail which will only count for pure elective credits towards the 120 credit minimum needed to graduate with one of our undergraduate programs. CSCI 5996 will not count for any major requirements in the BS and BA programs.