Leave of Absence
Students are expected to maintain active status through continuous registration from the time they matriculate until they graduate. Students who are not able to maintain active status are strongly encouraged to consult with the Program Coordinator, Director of Graduate Studies, and advisor to determine whether requesting a leave of absence is the most appropriate course of action. Students who do not have an approved leave of absence and are not continuously enrolled may experience negative consequences related to academic, visa, financial aid, and other student issues.
- Students who experience circumstances that prevent them from maintaining active student status will ordinarily be granted college approval for a leave of absence upon request. Students must complete a leave of absence form that specifies the term(s) and year(s) of the leave.
- An approved leave of absence may not exceed two academic years.
- Students who do not obtain a college-approved leave of absence prior to interrupting their enrollment (excluding summer) may be terminated from the graduate program or held to new requirements if they are readmitted.
- Students granted a leave of absence may not use University facilities or services available only to registered students.
- The term(s) and year(s) of an approved leave of absence will not be counted toward time to degree.
- Students who obtain a college-approved leave of absence in accordance with this policy are eligible for reinstatement provided they enroll no later than the term immediately following the expiration of the leave (excluding summer). Colleges may specify reasonable conditions for reinstatement to active status, whether the student returns early or at the expiration of the leave. Colleges may deny reinstatement to active status based on crimes or other serious misconduct occurring during the leave that would have been grounds for suspension or expulsion had the student engaged in the conduct while enrolled (see Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code).
- Students whose leave of absence has expired and who have not yet registered for the following term (excluding summer) will be placed on inactive status. Students who are placed on inactive status must apply for readmission.
For more information about the Leave of Absence policy please visit the Guide to Leave of Absence.