Graduate Admissions Overview
The graduate programs in the Computer Science and Engineering department are highly competitive. We receive 1600 + applications each year for approximately 140 total seats in the PhD and MS programs.
We are only able to admit the most qualified applicants who advance our mission of innovative research. Information about each program can be found below, to find out more about admissions criteria select the link for your program of interest from the menu to the left.
Prospective students can RSVP for an information session to learn about the following graduate programs:
- Computer Science MS
- Computer Science MCS
- Computer Science Ph.D.
- Data Science MS
- Data Science Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
RSVP at z.umn.edu/csgradinfosessions
The Graduate School also offers information sessions and campus tours. You can find more information on this webpage.
- PhD in Computer Science. This is a research degree which culminates in a unique dissertation that demonstrates original and creative research. Application instructions can be found here.
- M.S. in Computer Science. The department offers three types of M.S. degrees: (i) Plan A with a research thesis, (ii) Plan B with an independent project, and (iii) Plan C that only requires coursework-based projects. Application instructions can be found here.
- M.C.S. (Masters of Computer Science) This is a coursework-only degree designed to meet the needs of working professionals. Application instructions can be found here.
- M.S. in Software Engineering. This degree focuses on working professionals that want to get a deeper understanding of software engineering and is a coursework-only Plan C.
The department’s faculty members play a significant role in three additional graduate degree programs, which are:
*Note that the respective programs handle admissions in these programs.
Statistics for applicants can be found here: