Master of Computer Science
The following is a list of requirements that are considered as prerequisites for admission to the M.S. program:
- A candidate must have demonstrated research potential and interest.
- A candidate must have a 4 year or equivalent undergraduate degree from an accredited university
- A candidate must have a prior undergraduate or graduate degree in a major with a substantial background in computer science & engineering.
- A candidate must have a demonstrated ability to maintain a 3.25 GPA or greater.
- A candidate’s GRE scores should reflect a firm grasp of qualitative and quantitative reasoning.
- TOEFL scores should reflect a strong command of the English language and meet the university operational standard.
- If a student wishes to apply for a Teaching Assistantship position in the department they must have a score of 23 in speaking and 23 in the writing portions of the TOEFL or equivalent test.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed for admission.
Admission cycle opens for fall.
Application deadline for fall.
The Computer Science and Engineering Department does not admit for spring term.
The Graduate School online application along with detailed instructions regarding the application can be found here at the Graduate School application site. The following material should be included in the Graduate School Application:
The department requires that you upload the following to the Graduate School:
1. Statement of Purpose (Statement #1) -Concisely discuss your computer science educational, research, or industrial background as they relate to your objectives. Include any unique experiences relevant to research you have done. Discuss why you are applying to the University of Minnesota. Please include names of faculty members and research groups at the University of Minnesota whose research is of interest to you. Use this area to list any extenuating circumstances such as poor grades or test scores.
2. Diversity Statement (Statement #2) - Complete as instructed on the application site.
You must indicate all the colleges and graduate schools you have attended.Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded directly to the admissions application per these instructions.Official transcripts are required for those students admitted to the program.
Do not fax or mail hard copies of your transcripts to the department.
GRE Test Scores
- The Graduate Record Exam (general test) is required for all applicants. Applicants submit scores must be submitted to the Graduate School of the University of Minnesota.
TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS Test Scores
- International students must send official TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS scores. For more information visit: Graduate School’s TOEFL information page .
- The department requires a speaking and writing score of 23 or higher to qualify for teaching assistantships.
- GRE and TOEFL Institution Codes:
GRE INSTITUTION CODE
GRE DEPARTMENT CODE
TOEFL INSTITUTION CODE
TOEFL DEPARTMENT CODE
Three Letters of Recommendation
- Provide the name and e-mail address and other requested information for three recommenders through the university system.
- The CS&E department does not accept hard copies of recommendation letters, they must be submitted through the online system.
Curriculum Vitae or Resume
This should include:
- Educational background and degrees
- Teaching or research experience
- A list of papers/publications (URLs included)
- Computer languages in which you are proficient
- Other information that will advance your application can be uploaded in PDF or text format, PDF is preferred
* Unfortunately, the CS&E department is unable to review your application material prior to submission or make document corrections once your application has been submitted. *