Extending the Option to Change Grade Basis (Procedures)

May 5, 2020

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Minnesota is permitting students to choose the S/N grading option in any Twin Cities course as long as their request to change is made no later than 11:59 p.m. (CDT) on Friday, May 22, 2020.

This extension permits students to change an A/F grading basis to S/N after grades are submitted. It does not allow students who have chosen S/N to earn a letter grade after grades are submitted. If you elect to change your grading basis from A-F to S/N, grades of C- or higher will be changed to S on the grade roster. Grades below a C- will be recorded as N.

Please note that there is a different process for requesting this change depending upon if you are an undergraduate student or a graduate student. Students in our departmental programs should use the following processes below to request their grade basis changes.

Process for all undergraduate students

To request a change of grading basis after grades are posted in your full-term or B-term undergraduate course(s) on the Twin Cities campus, email One Stop Student Services ( "> ) from your University of Minnesota email address. In your request, please include the following information:

  • A statement that you wish to change the grading basis from A-F to S/N
  • Course subject and number (for example: CSCI 1133)
  • 5 Digit Class Number

Requests for multiple courses may be sent in a single email. The email request must be received by One Stop Student Services no later than 11:59 p.m. (CDT) on Friday, May 22, 2020. Please note that once you have made a request to One Stop, the S/N grade cannot be switched back.>

For more information, review the Twin Cities S/N grading basis FAQ. While you do not need permission from your advisor to make this change, we strongly encourage you to carefully consider your option to change to S/N and consult with your academic advisor to determine if electing the S/N grading basis is best for you and your future academic plans.

Process for Computer Science & Data Science Graduate Students

Computer Science and Data Science graduate students may request to change the grading basis (A-F to S/N only) of courses that have received a final grade using this form. Students have until 11:59pm CDT on May 22 to request to change the grading basis for courses with a final grade; extensions to that deadline will not be granted.

Faculty are expected to have final grades submitted by 11:59pm CDT on May 18. Courses that are graded Incomplete or that remain ungraded, meaning no grade of A-F recorded, after May 22 will not be eligible for a grading basis change.

The Office of the Registrar (OTR) will process change requests for students, not the department. Change requests will not be accepted from students directly to OTR; they will be referred back to their graduate program.

If an individual student is changing multiple courses, they will need to submit multiple responses to the form. The form above is only for Computer Science and Data Science graduate students.