Thursday, July 21, 2016
A quick update on the Fall TA situation:
- Class assignments for students who already have an offer will go out in the next couple days.
- For students who are still waiting to hear if they get an offer:
- We have had a few resignations and so have been able to make a small number of new offers.
- If there are additional resignations, or if additional positions arise due to larger than expected enrollment, then we will fill these positions as they arise.
- Currently there are still a large number of students who applied, but have not gotten an offer. This includes some high-priority students such as CS PhD students. If you are a CS PhD student who applied for a Fall TA position, but have not yet gotten one: there is a reasonably good chance, but not a certainty, that we will be able to make you an offer. However, in many such cases we will likely not know until near the start of classes. If you are another student who applied for a TA position but has not yet gotten one: there will probably be a few openings that come up where we do not have a qualified and available PhD student in the application pool. In such cases we will consider CS MS students, DSci students, or students from other departments. However, we expect to be able to make only a few such offers, and they will likely be later in the summer (near the start of classes) rather than in the next couple weeks.